You are here
Visualize This is back & bigger this year with two datasets - join the Challenge today!
Now in its third year, Visualize This! is a Canada-wide competition that celebrates the innovative ways visualization can help researchers explore datasets and answer important scientific questions. Visualize This! is your chance to challenge your creativity, experiment with new visualization tools, and contribute to the growth of data visualization in Canada! Hosted by WestGrid and the Compute Canada Visualization Team, we want to bring your creative visualization ideas and workflows to life and make them accessible to all Canadian researchers!
This year the Visualize This! Challenge is comprised of two separate competitions:
- a scientific visualization challenge based on a molecular dynamics simulation dataset, and
- a humanities visualization challenge based on an interactive textbase from The Orlando Project
The two competitions will run independently from each other, with first / second / third prizes in each track. You can choose to work with one or both datasets. Submissions are due no later than November 30 (midnight PST).
To be eligible for a prize, you must be registered as a participant. Register here.
These are just a few of the prizes we have up for grabs:
- High-capacity external SSD drives
- Free registration and subsidized travel to a WestGrid 2019 Research Computing Summer School
- Your visualization showcased on the websites of Compute Canada, WestGrid, Compute Ontario, Calcul Québec, and ACENET.
- An opportunity to present to the research community at an upcoming Compute Canada/WestGrid event
How to Participate
- Register your interest.
- Spread the word using #vizthis2018.
- Download one of the two datasets and start working on your visualization.
- Final solutions must be submitted via email no later than November 30, 2018 (11:59 pm PST) When you submit, please include both your visualization and the workflow, be it a script, a state file, etc. so that we can reproduce your solution. Please do not attach large files (over 1 MB) to the email, but instead share them with us using any of the popular sharing tools such as Dropbox, Google Drive, WestGrid’s ownCloud, transfer.sh, WeTransfer, or a shared cluster filesystem. Late submissions will not be considered.