You are here
Visualizations Wanted: Enter the Visualize This! Challenge
The Visualize This! Challenge is back! Now in its second year, WestGrid is proud to host this Canada-wide competition to celebrate the innovative ways visualization can help researchers explore datasets and answer important scientific questions. Visualize This! is your chance to challenge your creativity, experiment with new visualization tools, and contribute to the growth of data visualization in Canada!
Led by the Compute Canada Visualization Team, Visualize This! wants to bring your creative visualization ideas and workflows to life and make them accessible to all Canadian researchers!
The 2017 Challenge
We are looking for innovative solutions to transform a contributed dataset into a visualization that enables better observation, understanding, and insight from the data. All entries must be reproducible and use 3D open-source visualization tools.
This year’s contributed dataset is a multi-scale aerodynamical model of several counter-rotating vertical-axis wind turbines. A background in the research field of the dataset is not required! Participants from all disciplines are encouraged to enter, particularly graduate students and Post Docs.
How to Participate
- Register here to join the challenge!
- Visit the Visualize This! webpage for more details!
- Join our kickoff 'Visualize This! Tips & Tricks' online workshop on Sept 27, 12:00 - 1:00 pm PDT (connection details will be emailed to all Challenge registrants)
- Submit your entry by November 30 midnight (Pacific Time).
Prizes up for grabs include:
- 43 Ultra HD 4K Multi Client Monitor (Generously donated by Dell EMC)
- High-capacity SSD drives
- Free registration and subsidized travel to a WestGrid 2018 Research Computing Summer School
- Your visualization showcased on the Compute Canada and WestGrid websites
- Opportunity to present to the research community at an upcoming Compute Canada/WestGrid event
Submissions will be reviewed by members of the Compute Canada Visualization Team and points will be given for:
- interactive visualizations,
- visualizing the 3D multi-scale nature of the data,
- online presentation in a browser,
- and clear innovative display of multiple variables.
If you are interested in participating in the Visualize This! Challenge, or if you have any questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Help spread the word and share this with anyone else you think is up for the challenge!