You are here
Research Computing Winter School coming to University of Victoria on December 10-13
Building on its successful program of Summer Schools, WestGrid is pleased to announce its inaugural Research Computing Winter School will be held at the University of Victoria on December 10-13, 2019. The four-day Winter School will provide hands-on introductions to essential tools and skills used in computational research.
Researchers in all disciplines are invited to participate, and researchers from other institutions and organizations outside of the University of Victoria are welcome to register.
Click here for complete course details and to register
- Introduction to bash command line (1/2 day)
A hands-on introduction to the Linux command line and the interaction with a remote server.
- Introduction to HPC: Using clusters to speed up your research (1/2 day)
A look at the basic tools and techniques for working on a cluster, as well as best practices in cluster workflows.
- Introduction to scientific visualization: Plotting, interactive 3D, scripting, animation, large datasets (full day)
An overview of 1D/2D/3D plotting as well as 3D scientific visualization.
- Virtualize and Dockerize (full day)
An introduction to running containers and virtual machines.
- Foundations of parallel programming and the Chapel programming language (full day)
An introduction to the main concepts of parallel programming, using Chapel programming language to illustrate the basic concepts and ideas.
Each day will follow the same schedule:
- Morning: 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Lunch Break: 12:00 - 1:00 pm (attendees responsible for their own lunch)
- Afternoon: 1:00 - 4:00 pm
All sessions will be held at the University of Victoria, Engineering/Computer Science (ECS) Building, Room 660.
For a single fee, you can attend as many sessions as you like. This fee covers the cost of light refreshments each day provided for coffee breaks in the morning and afternoon. If you have any dietary restrictions, please contact us.
- Faculty, student or staff @ University of Victoria or another WestGrid Member Institution: $30
- Faculty, student or staff @ non-Member academic institution: $40
- Public / industry / non-Academic: $50
Note: If you require assistance with covering the cost of this event, or are unable to pay by credit card, please contact us and alternative arrangements can be made.