You are here
December 2020 Town Hall recording and slides now available online
On Friday, Dec 11, WestGrid hosted our last Community Town Hall of 2020 and we were pleased to host guest speaker Nizar Ladak, Chief Executive Officer, New Digital Research Infrastructure Organization (NDRIO).
Nizar provided an update on NDRIO's current activities, including the latest nation-wide effort to assess the needs of Canada’s Digital Research Infrastructure (DRI) community. He also shared a forward look at the coming year's transition towards a single integrated ecosystem of Research Data Management, Advanced Research Computing, and Research Software.
You can view the Town Hall presentation materials below:
WestGrid Visualization & Training Coordinator Alex Razoumov also used the Town Hall to share a look ahead at WestGrid training activities for 2021. His presentation is included in the materials above, but the items he mentioned are linked below as well for quick access if you'd like to browse the details and save some dates in your calendar:
- WestGrid training webinars (program currently in development)
- other online training such as:
- WestGrid collaborating with UBC Research Commons for winter/spring workshops -- open to non-UBC researchers too
- U of Alberta Online Research Computing Bootcamp, February 1-28 -- details to be announced in early 2021
- WestGrid online training modules starting in ~April -- building on the success of our recent online Autumn School, will be short online courses, with different courses delivered over several months
- an online training series in February focused on Humanities & Social Sciences
- an NVIDIA Hackathon at SFU - deadline to register is January 13
- the IEEE 2021 SciVis Contest
Next Town Hall - February 2021
Looking to 2021, we’re pleased to announce we'll kick off the year with special guests from Western Canada’s AI sector. So far we’ve confirmed amii, an Alberta-based institute that is one of Canada’s three centres of AI excellence and supporting world-leading research in artificial intelligence and machine learning. Other special guests will be announced in the new year.
If you have questions about February's Town Hall, or requests for other topics to be discussed at a future Town Halls, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.