You are here
Béluga available to all Compute Canada users on April 3, 2019
For several months, the Calcul Québec team has been working on the commissioning of a new supercomputer called Béluga, which will become available on Wednesday, April 3rd, 2019 for all Compute Canada users.
This new supercomputer is a general purpose system similar to Cedar and Graham, with thousands of CPU cores, a large number of GPUs, as well as an archiving platform. The technical specifications are summarized in the Compute Canada Documentation Wiki:
If you are interested in learning more about this new system, Calcul Québec is hosting an information webinar on Thursday, April 4 that will provide an introductory overview of Béluga's features and capabilities. Anyone interested in learning more about Béluga is invited to tune into the webcast:
Thursday, April 4
9:00 - 10:00 am Pacific
Click here to register
(webinar connection details will be emailed to all registrants)
Existing Compute Canada Users - Quick tips for accessing Béluga
For researchers with existing Compute Canada accounts, here are some tips to facilitate your transition to Béluga:
- Make sure you limit the number of files generated by your software because the number of files per user is limited on the new infrastructure. Typically, you should have thousands of files, not millions.
- Before Wednesday, April 3rd, you can familiarize yourself with Béluga’s software, scheduler and storage environment by testing your jobs on Cedar, Graham and MP2 since they are very similar.
- If you execute a large number of computations with a very brief runtime, be sure to use a script that groups them together into a single job so that their combined duration is at least an hour. The queueing system will be more efficient this way. You can email firstname.lastname@example.org for help with this.
Other Useful links:
- Getting started : https://docs.computecanada.ca/wiki/Getting_Started
- Storage and file management : https://docs.computecanada.ca/wiki/Storage_and_file_management
- Project layout : https://docs.computecanada.ca/wiki/Project_layout
- Sharing data : https://docs.computecanada.ca/wiki/Sharing_data
- Available software : https://docs.computecanada.ca/wiki/Available_software
- Using modules : https://docs.computecanada.ca/wiki/Utiliser_des_modules/en
- Running jobs : https://docs.computecanada.ca/wiki/Running_jobs
Not a Compute Canada User?
If you are not currently a Compute Canada user, but are interested in accessing and using Béluga or any of Compute Canada's other high performance computing or data storage facilities, you can register for a free account here.
If you have questions about how to get started on using Béluga, please contact email@example.com.