You are here
Call for proposals: 2013 International Data Rescue Award in the Geosciences
IEDA (Integrated Earth Data Applications) and Elsevier Research Data Services are organizing an International Data Rescue Award in the Geosciences. They are inviting members of the international geosciences community who have worked on efforts that advance preservation and access of research data, particularly dark data, to share their work and the varied ways that these data are being processed, stored, and used.
In establishing the Data Rescue Award, the organizers hope to showcase the breadth, depth and diversity of existing initiatives for disclosing research data within the geosciences, to promote recognition of these efforts, and to encourage new developments in this direction. As a side effect, this effort is hoped to encourage the establishment of a multi-disciplinary community across all areas of the geosciences to discuss the multitude of tools and methods that are being developed to rescue data from oblivion, and stimulate the sharing of knowledge, tools and standards pertaining to making research data re-usable across various earth and environmental sciences domains.
The deadline for submitting abstracts to the Data Rescue Award Competition is October 10 2013.
To be eligible for submission, each participant must describe different aspects of their data rescue project, including:
- examples of the data as they looked before and after the rescue process
- a description of ways, in which the data could be or are used after being made available electronically
- a description of metadata, models and standards, and the data repository or collection used to make the data available to be accessed and used
- a description of the rescue process, whether it be manual, automated, or a combination of both
A cross-disciplinary panel of judges will assess the submissions, and invite the top-10 scoring proposals to a special Awards Session to be held in December. The award will consist of a Data Rescue trophy and a check for $5,000.
The judges’ panel is formed by:
- Linda Gundersen, USGS
- Helen Glaves, British Geological Society
- Kerstin Lehnert, IEDA (chair)
- Mark Parsons, Research Data Alliance
- Lesley Wyborn, Geoscience Australia
- Ilya Zaslavsky, UCSD
Details of the judging criteria and a link to a submission template can be found on the Data Rescue Award website.