You are here

Frequently Asked Questions

A role is an identifier that represents the combination of a person’s position (eg. Faculty, Graduate Student, Postdoctoral Fellow, etc.), institution, and sponsor. In order to access Compute Canada resources one must have a valid and up-to-date role. A Compute Canada Role Identifier (CCRI) is associated with each role and uniquely identifies it. Most people will only have one role at a time, but when you change institution, sponsor, or position you will need to apply for a new role rather than update the old one. We ask you to do this so we can maintain accurate...

Read more

Your CCRI is the unique identifier for your role (see “What is a Role?”). Since one person may have multiple roles over time, one CCI may be associated with more than one CCRI. Every job that runs on a Compute Canada HPC system is attributed to a CCRI.

RAP is short for Research Allocation Project. Researchers are usually working on at least one research project. For reporting purposes, we need to be able to provide statistics on how our facilities are used, but the word “project” is too ambiguous, therefore we use a name which does not have any implicit meanings. Also, computing resources are not allocated to individuals, they are allocated to groups of researchers. The RAP is the group of researchers which resources are allocated to. Most users will just have one RAP...

Read more

It is Compute Canada policy that each person only have one account (CCI). Requests for duplicate CCI’s are refused. If you have an existing CCI and have changed position you should apply for a new role (CCRI) instead. To do so, please log in with your existing account and visit the apply for a new role form. If you have forgotten your password, you may reset it . If you can no longer access the...

Read more

Go to the register link. Note that you will have to accept the Compute Canada AUP (Acceptable Use Policy) to obtain your account.

There are two types of role:

  • sponsor roles (often referred to as Primary Investigators or PIs), and
  • sponsored roles.

Only faculty members can be sponsors. Administrators who are not faculty but who lead research projects must contact so that we can make appropriate accommodations. Faculty roles are only granted to faculty from Canadian post-secondary academic institutions who are eligible for CFI funding....

Read more

First, you will get an e-mail message with a link in it that you need to click on to confirm that the e-mail address you gave is valid. Next, someone will be sent an e-mail which asks them to approve your application. Everyone needs to be confirmed by someone. If you are a faculty member or non-research staff (typically consortium or Compute Canada staff) your application will be approved by consortium staff. Otherwise your application will be approved by the faculty member that you selected as your sponsor.

Before you can get an account at a regional HPC consortium, you must first sumbit a request for a Compute Canada Database (CCDB) account. Detailed instructions can be found on our Registering with the CCDB page.  

Once you have your CCDB login name and password, you can login to the CCDB website, click on "My Account" from the main navigation bar and from the dropdown menu that appears, select "Apply for a consortium...

Read more

WestGrid is one of four regional HPC consortia that operate and support Compute Canada national platform of supercomputing resources, which brings together computer and data facilities, computational expertise, and hundreds of academic researchers to tackle some of Canada’s biggest research challenges.

Compute Canada serves a user community across the country in disciplines ranging from the sciences and engineering to arts and humanities. The partner institutions and resource centres that comprise the national platform are...

Read more

WestGrid's 14 partner institutions include:

British Columbia
University of Victoria
University of British Columbia
Simon Fraser University
University of Northern British Columbia

University of Alberta
University of Calgary
University of Lethbridge
The Banff Centre
Athabasca University

University of Saskatchewan
University of Regina

University of Manitoba
The University of Winnipeg

Read more