You are here
WestGrid is seeking a senior, motivated programmer to join its team of advanced computing specialists to work on a wide range of software development projects in support of Compute Canada’s research platform.
Reports directly to the Director of Operations. Interacts as required with the CEO and Technical Site Leads of WestGrid.
WestGrid is a CFI-funded project providing advanced research computing (ARC) resources and services, encompassing 14 partner institutions across Western Canada. Its user community is supported by a distributed and cohesive team of technical staff and system architects. WestGrid is one of the four regional partners that form Compute Canada, along with ACENET, Calcul Québec, Compute Ontario, and lead the acceleration of research innovation by deploying state-of-the-art ARC systems, storage and software solutions. Together we provide essential digital research services and infrastructure for Canadian researchers and their collaborators in all academic and industrial sectors. Our world-class team of more than 200 experts employed by 34 partner universities and research institutions across the country provide direct support to research teams and industrial partners.
Primary Purpose of Position
The Developer is responsible for software and service development projects required both by WestGrid and Compute Canada. This could range from working on Compute Canada’s national user database, to developing an online tool for Bioinformaticians to submit their work to our high performance computing systems, to helping implement national filesharing services.
- Be part of the team managing, developing, and documenting the Compute Canada Database (CCDB), which tracks usage, allocations, and account information for our clients.
- Create, extend and maintain portals, scientific gateways, and advanced computing software tools and databases.
- Work closely with nationally distributed project teams, managers and developers as well as internal WestGrid groups including the Technical Site Leads and support Analysts.
- Provide training and outreach to the community.
- Create detailed project specifications, testing plans, clear deliverables, and timelines.
- Create internal process and policies as well as user documentation.
- Provide operational support for the WestGrid usage statistics system.
- Extensive web development experience.
- Experience with portals and platform development.
- Significant experience with SQL (or a university course in relational databases).
- Experience with Ruby on Rails or similar MVC frameworks.
- Familiarity with automated testing, and testing frameworks such as RSpec.
- Basic familiarity with Linux systems management.
- Experience working in a scientific or research environment would be an asset.
- Evidence of ability for ongoing professional development. Maintains a current awareness of emerging trends in programming and development practices.
- Ability to learn quickly, attain proficiency, and incorporate new programming languages and technologies.
- Self-starter with strong self-management skills.
- Experience translating user needs into technology services.
- Ability to organize and manage multiple priorities.
- Significant project management skills with the ability to work within an Agile environment, and to provide leadership and mentorship to development teams.
- Ability to work creatively, collaboratively, and effectively both as a team member and independently, and to promote teamwork among colleagues.
- Strong communication skills.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent in combination of skills and experience
- 2+ years experience in an IT environment working with platforms and portals.
Salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
Most WestGrid staff provide their own home office. Offices are also available at one of the WestGrid institutions located in Victoria, Vancouver, Kelowna, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, or Winnipeg.
A secondment hiring arrangement would be considered.
Candidates interested in applying for the role should send their expression of interest and resume to email@example.com by April 20, 2018 quoting the name of the position. We thank all applicants, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
All qualiﬁed applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religious beliefs, colour, gender, physical disability, mental disability, age, ancestry, place of origin, marital status, source of income or family status of that person or of any other person. In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.