You are here
Research Computing Training Assistant
The Research Computing Training Assistant is responsible for supporting and delivering research computing training sessions across all WestGrid Member institutions online, in-person, or over multiple days. This includes working with the Training & Visualization Coordinator to identify gaps in current training areas and developing new training materials and courses.
This post is suitable for a recent PhD or MSc graduate who is enthusiastic about supporting, training and encouraging academic researchers in a wide variety of disciplines. We expect some in-depth familiarity within a computational science environment, but otherwise you must be able to independently research and teach new technologies as needed for users who will not be computational experts. Our preference for this post is a background in machine learning, but exceptional competencies with other computational sciences will be considered.
This post is primarily responsible for assisting the Training and Visualization Coordinator in providing regular training and outreach on a variety of research computing topics, with a focus on new user and non-traditional HPC domain support. This includes selecting relevant topics, developing new training materials and courses, managing event logistics, coordinating with relevant communication teams, delivering training and outreach sessions, and training other staff members to provide seminars and workshops.
Additionally the assistant may help with:
- contributing to provincial, institutional or national training initiatives (eg, Software Carpentry, Summer Schools)
- responding to requests by email, through the ticketing system and in person, as required
- general support for researchers and users as part of the WestGrid analysts’ and training teams
Qualifications and Competencies
- Academic background (graduate degree preferred) in a discipline utilizing research computing, preferably with some Machine Learning experience.
- Some experience supporting computation and big data in a research setting and translating user needs into technology services.
- Excellent ability to familiarize oneself with other subjects and topics as needed for new courses and teaching events.
- Excellent ability to quickly learn new technologies, and a strong commitment to stay up-to-date with advanced research computing.
- Ideally some familiarity with Linux, high performance computing (HPC) and research computing in general.
- Experience with one or more of the following programming languages: C, C++, Chapel, Python, R, Julia or MATLAB
- Ability to travel in Western Canada
- Ability to teach in an academic setting and give presentations to audiences of up to 100 people
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with colleagues and users
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work creatively, collaboratively, and effectively both as a team member and independently and to promote teamwork among colleagues
Employees work primarily from home offices in a distributed, virtual environment. A Western Canada location is preferred for new employees. Note that this post requires extensive travel within Western Canada as many training events and summer schools involve face-to-face interactions.
This is a full-time position with salary range from $40,000 to $60,000 depending on qualifications and experience.
What We Offer
WestGrid is a team of highly collaborative, enthusiastic people who believe passionately in the importance of supporting Canada’s research community.
You’ll work remotely via video conferencing with team members from across Canada, to support some of Canada’s brightest minds, including current and future Nobel prize winners. You will help enable research that is world-class to solve some of our biggest scientific challenges, such as mapping the human brain, curing diseases, and reducing greenhouse gas emissions.
We offer competitive pay, professional development and training, a comprehensive benefits package, and matching RRSP contributions. We provide an inclusive, flexible, and supportive working environment.
This posting will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.
Please email resume and cover letter to email@example.com, referencing the position that you are applying for. We thank you for your interest, however only those being considered for interviews will be contacted.