You are here
Internship Opportunities (Various Disciplines)
The Mitacs Accelerate program offers a variety of internship opportunities for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows to develop industry connections and advance their research. Funding starts at $15,000 and projects can range from a single four-month internship unit to multiple units combined together to accommodate larger projects. Opportunities are open to all disciplines and all industry sectors, and can span a wide range of areas, including technical innovation, IT, manufacturing, social sciences, and more.
- Interns need to be enrolled full-time at a Canadian university as a graduate student (Master’s or PhD level) or as a post-doctoral fellow for the whole duration of the internship.
- Interns should not delay graduation to participate in the Mitacs Accelerate program.
- Post-doctoral fellows are eligible within five years of the completion of their first doctoral degree.
- The academic supervisor of the prospective intern needs to grant his/her approval for the internship.
University & Intern
- No deadlines: applications are accepted at any time
- Application process: simple, easy, and quick; typically approved within four to six weeks
- Not a competition International students and Postdocs are eligible to apply
- Real-world exposure: interns and faculty apply the latest tools and innovations to real issues.
- Funding provided to support the intern’s research
- Peer-reviewed: ensures high quality research
- Industry-friendly: Mitacs and the university manage all administrative and financial issues; intern is not a company employee Increased innovation: gain novel solutions to challenging problems
- Projects may be eligible for SR&ED tax credits, Mitacs provides matching funds to the projects
- Mitacs can help companies access university expertise
- Accelerate Standard: Scalable in 4-month internship units
- The Mitacs Accelerate internship program is scalable in its design. Projects can range from a single four-month internship unit to multiple units combined together to accommodate larger projects.
- Cost-shared model with Mitacs, through the support of federal and provincial government funding, matching the industry partner contribution dollar-for-dollar.
- Each four-month internship unit can be stretched to a maximum of six months to allow for part-time participation
Full program details and criteria can be found on the Mitacs website.